The Ancient Theater of Dodoni is located 22 km from the city of Ioannina. Its construction was connected with the performance of the temples, which were games in honor of Zeus. In the Roman period, the theater was transformed into an arena for gladiators and animal fights and duels. It is estimated that it was built in the 3rd century BC, during the reign of Pyrrhus in Epirus. Restoration work after disasters began in 1875 and continues to this day.
It is one of the largest ancient theaters in Greece, as its capacity reaches 17,000 spectators. The hollow of the theater was placed at the foot of Mount Tomaros to take advantage of the natural slope of the ground and the basic building material used was limestone.